Sunday, August 16, 2020

Simcha Tribune!




שִׂמְחָה =Simcha = Joy    

Rejoice in the Lord always--again I will say, rejoice! 
Philippians 4:4
Welcome to the first issue of the Simcha Tribune! (the July issue, but posting a little late, in August!!)   Simcha means `Joy` in Hebrew.   I was inspired by the above scripture, and a conversation in a fellowship recently,  to put together a paper that publishes simple articles about the simple joys we can experience each day in our lives. 
LORD, help  us focus on the things that are lovely and true and move forward in joy and may we bring more joy into the world!!

This first issue includes two short stories from my days!! en-joy!




1.  The first sound of summer

I have lived in Japan many years and have gotten to know the sound of cicadas is a sign of the arrival of summer!  There is a time in summer where we notice the sound of cicadas is all around us.  And yet, I don`t usually notice the very first one, but this summer was different!  I heard the first cicada! 
Read on!

This year it has been a particularly rainy rainy season.  There were devastating rains in our areas, with rivers overflowing.  It was supposed to rain much heavier but that day it was very calm and stopped.  I was feeling thanks and joy in the LORD for His protection and keeping us safe, and for answering prayer as only He can stop the storm.*

I was sitting with my husband at the park where we were having coffee that calm morning.  I heard a sound coming out of the quiet--it was the song of a cicada.  It was unusual as it was still the rainy season.  It was almost as if it came out of my heart, but it was from outside.  As if it came out of a deep silence from the calm morning after the stormy rains.  My husband hadn`t heard the sound yet and I mentioned it and then he heard it too.  We were both experiencing this very first sound of summer together! It was very special and it almost felt like it was God`s reassurance, in the middle of this time of unease and storms.  As we listened to that one cicada singing some distance from us, before we knew it the sound of cicadas came closer and started to surround us! And around us and around us.  Before we knew it we were surrounded by the sound of the cicadas!! It was the first time in all the years in Japan that I ever heard the very first sound of the cicada with my husband, or with anyone! That brought me much joy.  

I remembered the scripture that says God surrounds us with songs of deliverance!  Because it was right after the storm and in the period of time with the world being in `shutdown`, having that sound of faithfulness of God's voice was such a joy and I`ll never forget it!

You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance.  Selah.   Psalm 32:7

2.  The  Second Story is from the Pool

I love swimming and was very happy the pool was open.  There are certain precautions we have to take.  When swimming of course we don`t wear a mask, but the staff around the pool did have to wear a mask.  Just a side note, you may have noticed where you are too, that because of the situation we are all in together with the shutdowns, people seem a little extra...friendly!  Friendlier than usual!  At the end of my laps, the pool person leaned down and commented something to me about my laps, something the pool staff doesn`t ordinarily do.  I noticed his mask, it had a bold flower pattern on it and I said I like his mask.  He said thank you, and that it was made from his daughter`s yukatta! (note: yukatta is a lightweight  kimono-style robe that is worn in the summer months, often in colorful and fun patterns).  He said she had recently gotten married, and this mask was homemade from one of her yukattas that she used to wear!  I thought that was such a sweet thing.  I said, "Oh, did your wife make it?"  And he said, "no, I made it!"  That gave me joy to see!  A man who was so proudly showing his love for his daughter with this mask!

It makes me think of how human relationships are expressed in these small but joyous ways and we see the good in a situation.

I encourage everyone to pay attention to the moments of joy in our lives, and be blessed!

Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- thing about such things.   Philippians 4:8

Thank you for choosing Simcha Tribune, an AHAVA publication!
אַהֲבָה AHAVA  = Love
 שִׂמְחָה =Simcha = Joy    
 
שִׂמְחוּ בַאֲדׂנֵינוּ בְּכָל־עֵת וְעוֹד הַפַּעַם אׂמֵר אֲנִי שְׂמָחוּ*the above scripture from Phil 4*4 in its Hebrew translation!! Can you notice the word for rejoice?  Yes!! It comes from `Simcha`, a word that would have been very familiar to Yeshua`s Hebrew speaking disciples!!  Just adding that from my study,  as I have been looking at the Hebrew New Testament and love finding those connections!! Blessings and Shalom!  Love, Shayndel







                     related upload*  Praise After the Storm

2 comments:

  1. It's so great when we pay attention to and recognize the small blessings (or large) and joys of each day. Years ago when I first started my blog it was for the purpose of experiencing joy in each moment and finding the blessings despite the challenges of sickness I was (and am) experiencing. I like that you were able to share the joy of hearing the cicadas with your husband over coffee. One blessing that happened during Covid 10, the whole world over is that pollution or smog was reduced for a time and the birds and animals returned to many places where they had been pushed out by human encroachment. I read the other day with great joy that the population of elephants in Kenya had experienced a big boom due to heavy rains and being left alone during this season. God is always with us when we look for the signs. Hugs and blessings to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyful, its exciting to hear the way your blog started!! Thank you for sharing that testimony. Yes, that is such a blessing about the clean air that is something I hadn`t connected with the cicadas story, but as you mention it, there are soooooo many this year that my husband even pointed that out the other day how many there are!!! I didn`t know if it was because of their cycle ( I just read somewhere they wait 17 years to come out of the darkness and sing their song!!), or from the air!! Very interesting!! That is so encouraging to think of the blessings that we don`t even realize are happening...Wow, that is a joyful news about the elephants in Kenya!! Amazing!! Praise God!! Thank you for the joyful report and your wonderful sharing and comment!! Hugs and blessings to you!xoxo♡

    ReplyDelete