Monday, May 4, 2020

Challah Journal--Victorious Raisin Cakes- a Challah-cast, and looking at the Haftarah!

Unleavened and Victorious Raisin Cakes, in the week of Parsha Shemini
They brought in the Ark of the LORD and set it up in its place inside the tent which David had pitched for it,         from 2 Samuel 6:17

And he distributed among all the people --the entire multitude of Israel, man and woman alike-- to each a loaf of bread, a cake made in a pan, and a raisin cake.  Then all the people left for their homes.
2Samuel 6:19

Reading the Haftarah of in the Parsha Shemini.   Did anyone else notice the raisin cakes?!

I know, you probably paid more attention to David Dancing! That's one of my favorite too!!

Or you may remember the tragic part where Uzzah touches the Ark of the Covenant when they were bringing it back to Jerusalem, and he is struck down for his disobedience. 

So how is it that those raisin cakes have such an attraction for me?  I think its the expression of "victory" and the way King David had them given out to all of Israel in celebration of his victory for the LORD in bringing back the Ark to safety.   I just love that how he shares the victory by giving out bread to the entire multitude of Israel! How king-ly and how neighbor-ly! And it reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures, "Taste and see that the LORD is good". 
The angel of the LORD camps around those who fear Him 
and rescues them.
Taste and see how good the LORD is;
happy the man who takes refuge in Him!   Psalm 34:8~9
As we await the time of Shavuot and count up the Omer to that day of great Revelation, why not proclaim His victory with "Victorious Raisin Cakes".

 Here is the link to the recipe (below)!
I hope you might enjoy it,   and enjoy watching the Challah-Cast ( also below)

Blessings and Happy Counting the Omer!
When I wrote this post draft it was day 19 of the Omer.
And today (when I am finally posting it! ) we are already in the third week of counting the Omer!

Blessed are You, LORD our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us concerning the counting of the Omer.
Today is twenty-six days, which is three weeks and five days of the Omer.






Recipe note:  This recipe base can be found HERE, it is the recipe if you scroll down for "Cinnamon Matzah", I made  variations--- mainly the addition of raisins! As well as using Grapeseed oil in place of butter, and "tensai-to" , a Japanese kind of healthy sugar, for the "sugar".   And I baked them (the recipe says to pan-fry).  They came out delicious and very aromatic from all the spices!!  I hope you might try it.  
Blessings  in all the areas of your life for you and your loved ones, may we see new victories all around us and for health and deliverance for all people.    Blessings and Love,  In Messiah Yeshua♡Shayndel





15 comments:

  1. The raisin cakes as part of your meditation in scripture and the video of you making them is precious. Raisins being dried grapes must be a significant symbol perhaps as the vine is an important reminder of Israel and of the Lord. "I am the vine you are the branches" ...There is some rich meaning in the making of the raisin cakes and these scripture verses. Much more to think about. Every blessing Shayndel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda, I am so blessed by your watching and your wonderful comment that so encourages me. Thank you for bringing in the scripture of Yeshua as the vine and the raisins in that sense!! Yes, I agree there is more to think about and actually have even made a "sequel" already. I was led to the scripture in "Song of Songs" that says "Sustain me with raisin cakes, for I am weak with love!" Please stay tuned, I hope you might watch that one as well! Love and every blessing to you!♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post and your Challah cast. I never noticed the raisin cake reference before and I'm sure they would have been a treat as even now the spices and the raisins together are a wonderful mix. I do like the song you played at the end of the Challah Cast about King David dancing and it's something I actually thing about quite a lot since in many churches they don't even dance and they frown upon it even though it is mentioned in the Bible. Let us taste and see that the Lord is good and he even enjoys our dancing before Him. Praise His name. God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyful for watching and your encouraging sharing!! Amen!! Praise Him with the timbrels and dancing, praise him with the strings and pipe... Let everything that has breath Praise the LORD! Much love!! God bless!xox♡

      Delete
  4. Your dancing steals the show.You're so gracious!
    Raisins, cinnamon,grapeseeds oil- are among my favorite ingredients.
    Your kitchen looks well equipped!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw gee, thank you Duta。 I love you for that!lol!!!
    You might try the raisin cakes if you have those on hand! Do you like to bake?? Its the easiest recipe if you want to try it, they would be amazing taste using the real ingredients from Israel!! Blessings!! Stay in good health and shalom!♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did this go back to Abigail? 1 Samuel 25:18: "And Abigail made haste, and took ... a hundred raisin-cakes". So the poor man in 1 Samuel 30 good get raisin-cakes to revive him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you David for your comment and for asking! Wow, a hundred, that is impressive. I must say I don't know if there is a connection. It sounds like they are good for stamina, in the second instance, as in they were "to revive him". It's interesting!! Thank you for noting those places where there are raisin cakes!

    Blessings and shalom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminded me I had a few thoughts on figs at https://dcbverse.blogspot.com/2019/08/figs.html

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for sharing this, And there are even raisin cakes in some of those verses too!!

      Delete
  8. Hello and thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I have read the story of David and the bringing home of the Ark but I had not picked up on the raisin cakes! I will have to go back and read the story with new eyes! I don't know very much about Jewish tradition. Are you Messianic? It's wonderful to see and learn how others share their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Glorade!! Glad for your visit here too!! So glad if anything was "new" for you to see from a Messianic perspective!! Please come visit again, usually I share Challah here but since Passover have remained with the "unleavened" bread for a while longer!! Blessings and Shalom!! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you snuck in some dancing! 😊

    And the Ark of the Covenant! I hadn't seen this post yet when we were talking about the Ark this morning. The movie is Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Ha ha...Hollywood's Ark is full of monsters. Yours is better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Sandi! You noticed the dancing!

    That's funny, yes, we had been talking about the Ark!!
    Better than Hollywood? Oh, thank you:))😊♡

    ReplyDelete