Monday, September 28, 2020

Jonah and rounding up the cycle of Teshuvah!


A song of Ascents.

Out of the depths I cry to You, ADONAI!

Lord, hear my voice!

Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my supplications.   Psalm 130:1~2

 

On the day before Yom Kippur, I saw this little girl feeding pigeons out of her hand.   I stopped on  my bicycle, and asked her mom if I could take a picture, and she said it was ok. 

Just earlier in that morning I had been reading the book of Jonah, because the book of Jonah is read in the synagogue on Yom Kippur services,  so I wanted to read it in advance.   When I was reading it this time, I saw more than ever how amazing it is as a story of `Teshuvah`.  That of course is why it is read at this time of year.  I  love hearing it, and reading it , partly because I relate to Jonah in my own story of `teshuvah`, or `return.  I relate especially to how he thought he could run away from God, and of course, was found! This year after having been thinking a lot about Teshuvah, I noticed in the text of Jonah`s prayer how it is such an amazing `model` of teshuvah with the way the `turn` back to God is so clearly depicted in that prayer.  

When I saw the girl with the pigeons I knew God was making a connection that He wanted me to see see in that moment!

He knew that I knew that I would see the connection of Jonah and the pigeons!!

Jonah and the pigeons, you ask?

well, yes! Because in Hebrew, the word Jonah

(actually its Yonah in Hebrew), means dove, or pigeon!!

dove, pigeon = יוֹנָה

 Its something I learned this year, and I even call pigeons now `Yonahי

So I saw something in the little girl that was this peace she had and joy in feeding the pigeons, in being so at one with God`s creation!  

Part of our `Teshuvah` is a sense of coming home to who we are in Him, or returning to God as who He meant for us to be, and it can be a little like connecting to the childlike parts of ourselves.   I think that in showing me that little girl, He wanted to show me something of the joy that He has been wanting to return in me.

 I made an on-the-spot upload to express something about that, and just to share a little `pre-Yom Kippur` message, here is the upload and the scenes of little girl!! 

 G`mar Chatima Tovah!

May you be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life for a good year!

Hope you have/had a good and smooth fast and meaningful Yom Kippur!! Blessings and Love, Shayndel


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your story. Would you know that Pastor Jonah in Kenya taught me that his name means dove? I always thought he meant in his language but now I shall have to ask if he meant Hebrew. His brother (the one you helped) calls him Yonah. His brother slipped and fell in the grassy mud and had to get plaster on the leg that was broken in the accident. Please say a pray for him. That his bones would mend. Thank you for your faithfulness in your message and outreach. Hugs and love.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyful! Wow, I enjoy your story too, that is amazing about Pastor Jonah and your having known about Jonah meaning dove!! I think it would be Hebrew, but I really don`t know if another language too it means dove. Let me know what he says when you ask him!!!I am sorry about his brother slipping and having to get the plaster. Is that Ernest? Praying for him and complete recovery and the bones to mend, complete healing in the LORD Yeshua, his Healer!! God is amazing that he would use the little girl and the doves to show me to know more about Pastor Jonah and be able to lift up a prayer for his brother. Blessings hugs and love, xo♡

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's Ernest. Thankfully he had a nephew visiting him at the time so he had help getting to the hospital and back home again. Ernest still also has the crutches from his last leg issue so he can use those now. I'm not sure if I already told you but Ernest asked the doctor a few weeks ago if he could try and work now but due to Covid and Ernest's diabetes, the doctor told him not to go to town but to stay in the village. Now this health setback but I guess the good news is he can't go look for work during Covid anyway so he can convalesce. I'm glad you enjoyed my story about Yonah too. God really does work in mysterious ways and we thank you for your prayers. Love and hugs. xx

      Delete
    3. Thank you Joyful for the update. Joining you in prayer for the LORD`s supernatural healing and provision for Ernest, Love and hugs to you, xx

      Delete
  2. I like the way you make connections.
    I feed pigeons every day when they come to my window, and get satisfaction from it.
    Several years ago, I visited 'Jonah's Hill' in the city port of Ashdod. It is believed that his burial place might be there. Nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Duta. That`s sweet to hear that you feed pigeons every day at your window. Somehow pigeons in Israel seem so close to the pigeons and doves in the Bible, seems really biblical to me, and special that they come to your window!! I fed the sparrows when I was in Israel when I went there last year, it was a highlight among many highlights! Thanks for sharing about the Jonah`s Hill site. Blessings!♡

    ReplyDelete