Monday, June 27, 2022

A Torah for Japan ~ Part 2: The Flying Scroll



Subsequently, the Ark carried its bearers in the air and crossed the Jordan, as it is stated: “When all the people were completely passed over, the Ark of the Lord passed on, and the priests, before the people” (Joshua 4:11)

The Holy One, Blessed be He, said to him:  Uzzah, the Ark carried its bearers when it crossed the Jordan; all the more so is it not clear that it can carry itself?

Another midrash says that rather than being carried by its bearers, the Ark in fact carried its bearers inches above the ground (Sotah 35a)

Like the verses above, I also experienced this in that I didn’t carry the Torah.

God carried it. 

He `sent` angels ahead of me to lift it at every point from Florida to New York to Japan.  He carried the Torah.

When I arrived in New York JFK with an extra oversized box, My Dad was surprised, to say the least.  I told him his house would be blessed by having the Torah there, sharing with him the story of Obed Edom when King David brought the ark there before returning to Jerusalem. 

Then it was reported to King David saying, "ADONAI has blessed the house of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God."  So David went and brought the ark of God up from the house of Obed-edom to the city of David with joy.    2Samuel 6:12

And it was a blessed trip.   All thanks and glory to God for His being with us every step of the way.  I am reminded of that so that when I am in more `regular` seeming moments in my every day life, I remember, yes God is with us always even when it is not that kind of highlighted `adventure`, He is with us!  Reminder to myself, and I hope an encouragement to you!

From New York to Japan was the next challenge.   I had to quarrantine two weeks in Tokyo in two different locations, before being able to fly on another airplane to the city where I live.  It was the time of the strictest regulations in Japan (again all thanks to God, the restrictions were reduced during the last few days of my quarantine it was announced that the restriction had been lifted and shortened to 10 days, shortened from 14!)

I remember one moment that was exhilirating, in an unexpected kind of way.  I was in the taxi going from the first quarantine hotel to the next, feeling a sense of freedom to be released even for this interim!  The box with the Torah scroll was next to me on the seat.  I felt an exhilaration of joy as we passed along Tokyo streets, by shops with  signs and all the letters in Japanese, as a new light was shining on this cityscape, the light of the Torah, as though the letters of the Word could not contain themselves and were being released! 

I hoped to open the scroll in the hotel room quarantine but there was really no place to open it in the  hotel rooms.  I realized I would have to wait until I get back to `the city of Joanne`! I did open the box though,  and found there was a `tallit` with the word `CHAI` (see post below about the Hebrew word Chai) in a word spelling LIFE all over the Tallit.

The scroll was wrapped so well and fit in the box so perfectly that I sensed it was divinely wrapped to make it on the journey.  I didn`t want to open it until it was the right time that I could  have enough space to unfold it.

Once again I lifted up my eyes and behold, I saw a flying scroll!

Then the angel asked me, "What do you see?"   I replied, "I see a flying scroll twenty cubits long and ten cubits wide."

 Zechariah 5:1 ~ 2

Why do I mention the flying scroll? Because at last when I made it to the plane that would take me home, the Pilot of pilots arranged our flight path to fly the Torah directly over the top of Mt. Fuji!!!  A prophetic proclamation and a joyous homecoming,  welcoming the God of Israel with the Torah over Japan...

From the Taxi, the `cloud` of God`s glory!
 





reading Isaiah 42 on the plane, while flying over Japan with the Torah on board...The islands will wait for His Torah!



HalleluYah!!  To be continued...❤️



8 comments:

  1. That was quite a mission! Kudos to you Shayndel for the efforts made to bring the torah scroll safe and sound to Japan. Yes, God made it all possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duta! I appreciate your `kudos` and receive them, and especially thank you for recognizing that it is God that makes it all possible. All praise to Him, the Holy One of Israel!!

      May His blessings be upon you always!! ❤️

      Delete
  2. I WAS JUST READING THAT VERSE YESTERDAY!

    Sorry to scream in all caps, but I WAS JUST READING THAT VERSE YESTERDAY! Justice to the Nations, especially this part!

    "Uzzah, the Ark carried its bearers when it crossed the Jordan..."

    I had never heard this! WOW. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. I will scream an AMEN!! I love that you were just reading the same verse, blessed to hear that.

      The verse about the Ark is from a commentary by one of the well known Jewish sage, Rashi. The full commentary where it comes from is here, the reference is Sotah 35a.

      It follows that the Ark and its bearers and the priests were on one side of the Jordan, the east side, and the rest of the Jewish people were on the other side, the west side. Subsequently, the Ark carried its bearers in the air and crossed the Jordan, as it is stated: “When all the people were completely passed over, the Ark of the Lord passed on, and the priests, before the people” (Joshua 4:11). And over this matter Uzzah was punished for not taking proper care of the Ark, as it is stated: “And when they came to the threshing floor of Chidon, Uzzah put forth his hand to hold the Ark; for the oxen stumbled” (I Chronicles 13:9). The Holy One, Blessed be He, said to him: Uzzah, the Ark carried its bearers when it crossed the Jordan; all the more so is it not clear that it can carry itself?

      Blessings and Shalom! May the LORD show us to His heart as He leads us through His word and by His spirit!!❤️


      Delete
  3. Thank you Aritha! God bless you with His Shalom always ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spiritual adventure you have been having! I pray the words of this torah will bring a great blessing to you, to the community with whom you worship, and to the nation of Japan. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gloriade. Yes, I like how you say it a spiritual adventure! Thank you for your prayers, I receive them for me and my family, the community and the nation of Japan. Amen and Amen! God bless you and all your loved ones, community and nation with His Shalom and all blessings in Messiah!❤️

      Delete