Tuesday, November 13, 2018

I Have a Little Dreidel




It's the month of Kislev,  the 9th month of the Hebrew Calendar.  In this month the days grow darker and we have the holiday of Hannukah in which we celebrate the miracle of light, and the victory of the Jewish people led by the small group of Maccabees.  Today I shared about the Hannukah story at a small "book reading" at a cafe as part of an arts festival. The book is called "I Have a Little Dreidel" by Maxime Baum.Its really cute and gives good illustrations of gathering at a family house for Hannukah and making latkes (see posts Here) and playing dreidel.  Many people where we live do not know of Hannukah, they do not know of the miracle of the lights, and also do not have very much knowledge of Israel or the Jewish people, all things which they have no immediate connection with.  Today I will take the book and  hand made menorah and little gift boxes of dreidels.  Dear Holy Spirit please pour Your oil of anointing on the event to shine Your light and share something of the message of Hannukah.



I made this menorah out of kami nen-do, which is paper clay.  I didn't get to make the candles yet.  As its not yet Hannukah* and we won't actually be lighting candles, I will bring some "real" candles to show about the menorah, and some paper clay if any participants want to try making a "candle" ...or a dreidel! ...out of the paper clay!

The menorah is just about dry,  and I hope it stands up and doesn't crumble on the way to then next town where I have to go for the reading!!

Oh, dreidel dreidel dreidel! Do you know the song?
This is it with my translation into Japanese for tonights reading!!

 ♬小さいなドレイドル🎵

これは小さなドレイドル
私が粘土で作ったの
かわいて 出来上がったら
楽しくドレイドルで遊びましょう

オオ、ドレイドル ドレイドル ドレイドル
私が粘土で作ったの
オオ、ドレイドル ドレイドル ドレイドル
楽しくドレイドルで遊びましょう

I have a little dreidel 
I made it out of clay
and when its dry and ready
Oh Dreidel I shall play


Oh dreidel dreidel dreidel
I made it out of clay
Oh dreidel dreidel dreidel
Now  Dreidel I shall play







 by "The Blossoming Challah"!



Reading at the Onigiri Cafe.  (photos too)


Blessings and Shalom. ♡ Love, Shayndel





*Hannukah this year begins the night of Dec. 2, and lasts for 8 nights










6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful event in which to share about Hannukah and other things of your faith. Believe it or not, I doubt very many people outside of the Jewish community are really familiar with these things. I only know a very little myself and it is because I am open and curious :-) and really I should know more as a believer in Christ. BTW, today I got an interesting little thing in chat about Jacob and Esau. If I'm able to copy I'll share it with you. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyful! Yes, it was very fun and a delight to share about Hannukah. That is something I hadn't really thought of, about people in other places too not knowing. Glad for your openness and hope the Holy Spirit will speak to you about wanting to know more! :) Hannukah is a very special time of the year and surely in its days of increasing Light there is much to be revealed through it!!
      Always may we be learning. Yes, please share if you have it about Jacob and Esau!! Hugs!! xx

      Delete
  2. ...I made it out of clay, and when it's dry and ready, a dreidel I shall play!

    My boys have dreidels they made a few years ago at Messianic synagogue near here. We went for their Hannukah celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Sandi!
      That sounds fun they could make them!
      Blessings and a light-filled day to you and your family!!♡

      Delete
  3. You were given by God great talent and you use your talents to do good things to people. I admire you for your creative deeds such as the 'book reading' at the festival. the menorah and dreidl making. Keep up the good work, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I receive your kind words Duta. You are such an encourager, truly a gift that you have. Thank you!!
    Keep sharing yours too!! Love and blessings!♡

    ReplyDelete