Thursday, October 25, 2018

Teshuva and the Ice Cream Truck

Challah  and Cherry Blossoms diary

Winding down, or up the posts from my LI visit and celebrating the fall feasts in this season of "return".
I know this post out of sequence, but for my records, I had to put in this photo of the butterscotch ice cream sundae and just wanted to include the story to go with it.



You will teach me the path of life.
In Your presence is perfect joy;
delights are ever in Your right hand.

--Psalm 16:11

At the Tashlich ceremony (part of the New Year celebration and observances, a Jewish tradition of symbolically casting our sins into the sea), there were two ice cream trucks!!  After the ceremony, where we read certain scriptures that are chosen for this day, and then throw crusts of bread into the sea to symbolize casting off sins, everyone lined up for ice cream.  Young and old.   Hearts were lightened from the blowing of the shofar the previous day at Rosh Hashanah. 

There at the marina, it was a joy to be part of.   Small children with their fathers in excitement for what kind of ice cream to have, and older people who were also joyously enjoying a treat that they might not ordinarily indulge in.   And I can't tell you when was the last time I had an ice cream sundae!  With butterscotch yet!   We all were eating and enjoying ice cream that was from a man in a truck,  but there was a wonderous unity and beauty in  how it was clearly understood that everything is provided from God. 

( somehow the spiral shape  of the soft ice cream even reminded me of the spiraling round challahs of return often made at this time of the year.  The whole experience being shaped by the Holy Spirit and filled with the sweet taste of return...)
 
Teshuva = Return


Post Script

The photos below are from another day, after the butterscotch sundae story above.  I suppose I had butterscotch sundae on my mind sometime after the Tashlich!  One day after that I was driving into the village and  surprised to find myself behind an ice cream truck.  I wanted to stop him but didn't quite know how from the car, so I  followed it through the winding streets of the neighborhood.  Finally he stopped in a cul de sac.   I stopped behind him and  got out and ordered... guess what?... a butterscotch sundae.  I had completely forgotten that I had almost no money and was on the way to the bank!  but he had already made the sundae and said not to worry about it!

I don't know if you or I will find an ice cream truck at the next feast of the Lord but I will say that  we enter new doors and new roads open to treasures and delights that God will reveal exquisitely ....and I might add, in unique ways...to each one who follows after His heart.







Love and blessings from your Challah and Cherry Blossoms correspondent,



Shayndel




18 comments:

  1. I love how you tied eating the ice cream treat to the new delights and new doors that Yeshua would have prepared for us and waits to reveal in his time. The photos there on LI are beautiful. I see wonderful lush green trees and the water and fence peeking out in the background. I'm sure you were very blessed to spend the holiday with your family and in the synagogue after so long away. Blessings. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joyful, thank you. I love how you said that. Its what I wanted to communicate but wasn't sure if that came through!! BTW I have been fiddling with the post a little and took some parts out, hope it still is clear as I really wanted to just say what you said above in the first line you wrote!! So blessed by your reading and comment. Much love! Blessings♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, my dear you are always very clear in what you mean and your love of Yeshua and the joy you have in finding his delights. God bless ♥

      Delete
    2. Can I give you a hug?!
      Here is a big hug!! God Bless♡
      Thank you dear Joyfull!!

      Shabbat Shalom!

      Delete
    3. I like hugs :-)) God bless ♥

      Delete
  3. Love your post. I never saw an ice cream truck. But I like what you are writing about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aritha. Maybe they are just in US? Its a kind of "nostalgic" sight for us and when as kids it was always a very exciting thing to hear the sound, when the ice cream truck was in the neighborhood:)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like such a wonderful day! I am drooling over the bread in the previous post! Yummy! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellyn! You too have a wonderful weekend and week!

      Delete
  5. The taschlich ceremony (casting off sins in water) is a very significant one. Now, all those participating in the ceremony definitely deserved the ice-cream treat.
    You've described things beautifully! Lovely pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duta. Yes, it is a significant ceremony.
      We don't usually think of getting a treat after it, but yes, as you put it nicely, to see it as a well deserved treat!! And surely everyone appreciated it, by the sea, you could see, all those smiles!! :)

      Delete
  6. You have had a beautiful day, it's good to follow the traditions.
    The ice cream looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs and thank you to all for stopping by and your kind and always encouraging words! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ".... I had completely forgotten that I had almost no money and was on the way to the bank! but he had already made the sundae and said not to worry about it!

    I don't know if you or I will find an ice cream truck at the next feast of the Lord but I will say that we enter new doors and new roads open to treasures and delights that God will reveal exquisitely..."


    And He will say buy with no money and eat...

    :-)

    Your cherry blossoms inspired a post today! Come see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sandi, Wow and double wow. Thank you so much for seeing that! I didn't see that scripture when I wrote it about the not having money!! I love it and love that you made the connection.

    Second wow, is your post today. Its beautiful. Thank you. I love it. God Bless you and may today be filled with new hope and exquisite acts of kindness. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just opened to Isaiah 55, and all of the scripture is wonderful. Its also all about "return!" And even in the line you wrote, "Come, buy food and eat, Buy food without money" (v.1), the word in Hebrew "Shuv" or its variants are in there twice!! That is the word in the post title, Te-shuv-a!, Return!!!

      Delete