Saturday, September 23, 2017

Shabbat Shuvah and a Challah of Return (1 of 2)

As for me, nearness to God is good;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
that I may recount all Your works.    ---Psalm 73:28


This Shabbat is called Shabbat Shuvah.
It means the Sabbath of Return.
It is the Shabbat between the Holy Feast day of Rosh Hashanah (Head of the Year) and the Holy Fast day of Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement).  This whole ten day period is called the Days of Awe.

For the month before these days (see `Elul` posts below), we draw closer to God and prepare our hearts in reflection as we seek repentance and return to Him.

Hence, on this Shabbat it is all about

return.

My challah this week too became all about return! No braided strands but one long strand (though it is my first time making this shape and, my strand could have been longer!).  You make the strand and then roll it from beginning to end into a spiral.  It naturally takes an upward shape of the spiral and can reflect our time of introspection and reflection and return.  As well as the circle and continuous eternal nature of God our Creator, who each year brings us together to these days of repentance and

Return.

thus says ADONAI-Tzva`ot,
`Return to Me`---it is a declaration of ADONAI-Tzva`ot---
`and I will return to you`, says ADONAI-Tzva`ot.

---Zecharaiah 1:3

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of a challah of return! Very nice. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandi! I suppose I never heard of one too!
    Glad you like it, always encouraged by your insights and kindnesses!!

    ReplyDelete