Saturday, December 28, 2019

Nes Gadol Haya Sham, Hebrew Letters Challah! Parsha Vayashev Challah-cast






"Nun" on the dreidel stands for
"NES"  which means"Miracle"

Gimel on the dreidel stands for "Gadol" which means "Great"
"Hey" on the dreidel stands for "Haya" which means "Occured"
"Shin" on the dreidel stands for  "Sham" which means "There" .  Remember, on the dreidels in Israel this letter would be "Pey" which stands for "PO", which means "HERE"!

Nes Gadol Haya Sham, in Challah!!


Hebrew letters in challah is not what you would see on the typical Shabbat table, but our God sometimes asks us to go out of the typical!  As its something I love, so He is giving me the go ahead  in such a way on the challot these past weeks, from a "Shalom" challah to the "letters on the dreidel"  challah in a recent Chanukah challah, this one to go with the parsha Vayashev.

As I was making the letters,  I learned a lot as I shaped each one, even consulting a book on Hebrew Calligraphy to get the basic strokes right, and then while the dough was rising checking a little about the meanings of the letters, and looking for connections with reading about Joseph in our parsha from the week.

My "kitchen" and rooms became like a Chanukah Challah studio in the days of Chanukah.

Tonight is the seventh night of Hanukkah. Or Chanukah.  There are a few ways to spell it.   The CH sound in Chanukah has the same first letter as the CH in Challah.

I will share my challah-cast in which I make the "Nes Gadol Haya Sham" in Challah!  if you are moved to watch it please do and enjoy!!  It has some fun twists and spins, and a little learning as I go along!

Hope you enjoy it if you have a chance to take a break to view it during your end of the year cleaning and winding down, and that you might even learn something new and hope it blesses you!!  

Blessings and Shalom!

Love,



Shayndel







8 comments:

  1. Hello Shayndel. Your post is special. I think lighting the candles, making the letters, learning the meaning is uplifting and glorifies the Lord. I have a Hannukah set of candles home made by a grandson in plaster which is precious and I will light the candle today and think of you. Blessings and Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda, Thank you for such kind words. I am touched to hear about your grandson's homemade candles, and to know that you thought of me!! To God be the Glory!! Have a light-filled day! Blessings and Shalom!♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shayndel, you look great in the video clip! Your room is lovely with the blue curtains!
    You have a very good way with words, so your explanations about the letters on the dreidl are clear and interesting.
    In short, you are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Duta, oh you are too kind! Thank you for watching and encouraging with your enthusiastic words. You are a treasured blog friend, your gift for encouragement is so precious and uplifting!! I'm glad to hear the explanations were clear. Like our Joseph, I must give the praise to God! I don't really know anything about Hebrew and can't explain any of it without Him!! Blessings and Shalom! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Joyful!! ♡ A blessed and light-filled day / night to you!

    ReplyDelete