Monday, June 3, 2019

Challah Diary--- "at home" in Israel--On the Galillee at that!

I call this  challah post  "at home" because it tells how at home I felt coming down for breakfast in the hotel in Israel and seeing that wonderful Challah!!

 

 
      If you turn back your foot from Shabbat, from doing your pleasure on My holy day and call Shabbat a delight, the holy day of ADONAI honorable... then you will delight yourself in ADONAI and I will let you ride over the heights of the earth, I will feed you with the heritage of your father Jacob.   For the mouth of ADONAI has spoken.  
Isaiah 58:13

I have many photos and posts I want to share from the Israel trip .  Photos of the sites that you may even be waiting (?!!:)) to see,  and of our tour, but somehow the photos that I was moved to post next were these of the Challah at the hotel on the Galilee for Shabbat breakfast.  
On this blog,  I don't like to go too many posts without sharing a Challah!
We don't get too many moments like this in Japan!, where a Shabbat table is set and awaiting with Challah enough to feed the multitudes!!  

You may also have noticed, the beautiful pink slices of Israeli Grapefruit!! I have written about the Israeli grapefruit, and how excited I was to find them in Japan.
Imagine how much more exciting it was to find Israeli grapefruits on the buffet table in Israel!!

There is something of a parable here you might even be noticing!  The Kingdom of Heaven is like a Shabbat. 


 






Blintzes!   These are the real thing!


Israeli grapefruit, in Israel!!



This sign in the hotel announces the time for sunset and candle lighting on the eve of Shabbat
Challah on Shabbat, like a homecoming of sorts!!  Perhaps this really is where I belong!


Where else in the world can you go to Shabbat breakfast at the hotel and go straight to the challah?  Where else in the world is the Calendar set on God's time!?
Where else in the world can you feel so at home where you are on the same time as the rest?!!
(pun intended---the rest, being the Sabbath day of rest, as well as "all the rest" of the people )
All the breakfasts in Israel were heavenly, but I must say this was one where heaven really felt like home!!


note:  I know as I write this there are those in Israel who are hungry and cannot have this kind of Challah breakfast.  So I realize what a luxury it also is.  But still I share this because there is in each of our souls a way that we connect to a place and to our Maker, and I know that He wanted to share this sense of "home" on  my one Shabbat this trip in the land of Israel.  

A wonderful testimony is that when I returned to Japan and made a challah using some of the Date honey I brought back from Israel,  and brought it to share with some brothers and sisters, God took the challah right from our hands and gave it into the hands of someone who was hungry.  I believe He will use the experiences of this "homecoming" trip to Israel in new ways.  I continue to pray He will open up ways to share the Challah I make, and the Bread of Life, here where I live until I am called "home" once more!!

note 2:  now that I got the Challah post out of the bag, I will hope to follow up with other site visit posts.  Oh, though first there is another Shabbat post on the way, as we are still on the Galillee...

 note 3:  just another part of a personal story, one of the scriptures that was on my heart when I went , knowing we would be in the Galilee, was the scene in John 21 where Yeshua appears to the disciples.  It was a "breakfast " scene.  I will come back to that scripture in a post or two to follow, but for now for my diary reference noting here where

Yeshua said to them, "Come, have breakfast."  None of the disciples dared ask Him, "Who are You"--knowing it was the Lord.  Yeshua comes and takes the bread and gives it to them....
John 21:4



Thank you Yeshua!







6 comments:

  1. Shayndel, you are the most delicious of all the delights displayed.
    I've noticed the kugel and the grapefruit - favorites of mine.
    Is it something new with the scales or you see them only in high -star hotels? I usually go to budget hotels. Never seen scales by the productson the table.
    Anyway, I've enjoyed your description and photos. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Duta, but more delightful than challah?!! Oh you are too kind!! :)) I am not sure about the scales, actually I thought they were just a kind of decoration. You have a good eye to notice that. Glad you enjoyed the post. looks like we share food favorites, I love the grapefruit and kugel too!! ♡

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. I can imagine your excitement at being in Israel and following in the footsteps of Yeshua. Beyond that, oh so many challah. What a smorgasbord for you too with all of the delights of breakfast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joyful. Yes, it really brought the scriptures to life to be there. Now going back to read some of them as while there everything was so much to take in and experience!! And yes, I like how you said that, all the delights of breakfast!! ♡:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that He made them breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete