Wednesday, September 5, 2018

A Challah for Rosh HaShanah (a little early, you'll see)



I made a Challah a little early for Rosh Hashanah.
It is to send to my daughter, so she can have a challah and apples and honey at the New Year!
I had a good time making it and reflecting on the year and on the sweetness and goodness of our Lord and Father and King.  And happy that she will have a challah delivered on time.

I filled another bag with apples and honey to send with the challah ---for a sweet new year---,  and in doing so, found myself wanting to bring apples and honey to people in my days.  To share the season we are in to honor our Father our King! 

In this season where we celebrate the beginning of creation, the crowning of the King, may we bring our repentance and turn it in, starting a-new.  May God Bless you!  And keep you and shine His face upon you and give you Peace--Shalom!!

A few scenes from the making!  It is a tradition to make a round challah on Rosh Hashanah, some say it represents a Crown , or the eternal cycle of the year and years, and the round shape of the world,  as we celebrate the Creator and His creation...It is also sweet, whereas mostly challah during the year for Shabbat is sprinkled with salt, this challah has honey and can also be made with other sweetness.  I put apples in the filling of one, but for sending I wasn't sure how it would hold up so I also made a basic sweet round challah with honey and on top, sprinkled sugar and cinnamon.  

This year I had a new personal revelation while making the challah, as I was braiding the four strands and crossing them over each other, I thought of the scriptures about God bringing us together from the four corners of the earth and gathering us back.  Isn't that perfect!









 Then ADONAI your God will bring you back from captivity and have compassion on you, and He will return and gather you from all the peoples where ADONAI your God has scattered you.  Even if your outcasts are at the ends of the heavens, from there ADONAI your God will gather you, and from there He will bring you.  

Deuteronomy 30:3~4



 



 please note I will be taking a blog break in honor of the High Holy Days. 

Wishing you a Happy and Sweet and Blessed New Year!  See you in 5779! 

Shana Tova!

Much Love,
Shayndel




8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your Challah making process. I love the revelation God gave you as you made the Challah. I'm sure your daughter will be blessed and happy to receive your gift for the New Year. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful!

    Not sure what part of Japan you are in, but I just read there was an earthquake today. Are you ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shayndel. I hope you're Ok. Japan is not (earthquake).
    I didn't know about the round chala tradition. That's beautiful. And where's the pommegranate? I tend to keep one or two pommegranates from one Rosh Hashana till the new Rosh Hashana, and then buy fresh.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Shayndel. How are you? Hope all is OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone!
    Just wanted to let you know we are o.k.
    God bless you and a safe, happy, sweet, New Year.
    Much love,

    Shayndel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! Now I am hungry! Heading to New York in the morning, so I am sure good food is too follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellyn. Hope you had a good trip to NY and enjoyed good foods!! I love the challah and bagels, as you might imagine!! Happy New Year!♡

      Delete
  7. A delayed reply to Duta's comment!
    Hi Duta,
    Delayed reply!
    Thank you.
    I found a pomegranate at the end of the holidays, and "preserved" it in a post! I credited you with thanks for asking! And thanks for sharing about how you keep them until the new new year.

    Happy New Year to all!

    ReplyDelete